Sunday, October 13, 2013

Married Life

 After living alone for almost 10 years, I am now married! We are both in an adjustment phase while we get used to sharing space. The most humorous adjustment is my habitual way of locking up before I go to sleep. Each night I walk over to the light switch and turn off the interior light & turn on the exterior light. As I continue walking to the bedroom, I turn off the television and the other lights in the house.

 I usually go to bed before my husband does. My precious husband is very patient. Our first night together I actually turned off the light, to which he asked "uh! what are you doing?" I replied in a sarcastic tone, "I'm headed to bed." He very politely reminded me that he needs the light on in the living room so he can continue working on the computer. That's when it dawned on me that I'm sharing space with someone now and I need to adopt some new routines. 

For a few days, I was doing really well. As I start walking to the light switch, I turn around, point to my husband, and say "I need to leave the light on for you." He chuckles at me as I walk to the bedroom. The other night was the most humorous. I turned off the light, laughed out loud, flipped the switch back on, turned around, and pointed to my husband to say (while chuckling) "I really am going to get to used this." He simply sat there on the couch laughing at me. 

I've heard many say that the first year together is the hardest. Although we've only been married for a month, we laugh at each other through this time of adjustment. The other night when I turned the light off in the bathroom, because I wasn't in it; he chuckled and paused. I flip the switch back on, and laugh out loud again. At least my apologies are filled with humor. 

the end

No comments: