Monday, June 3, 2013

pay phone

I've needed a tune up on my car for about a month. A friend of mine was gracious to perform the auto repairs at a reasonable rate. I dropped my car off at his place Friday night, and he worked on the car Saturday while I attended a wedding.

My fiance gave me a ride to the wedding. I decided to leave my cell phone and house keys at home since I wouldn't need them at the wedding; plus this allowed me to use my fancy purse. We enjoyed the wedding and reception. We dropped by my friend's house around 9pm to pick up my car. My fiance had to follow me back to my place since he didn't know the way. As I pulled into my apartment complex, I realized he wasn't behind me.

I park my car, and sit there for a couple of minutes. Then it dawned on me, he usually goes salsa dancing on Saturday nights. I was convinced that he texted me "decided to go salsa dancing. see yuh later." Of course, I was locked out of my place and didn't have my phone on me. I must have been completely exhausted. I had the brilliant idea of driving to the nearest pay phone. I completely forgot that we are in the year 2013, and pay phones aren't at every gas station. The last time I needed to use a pay phone was about 15- 20 years ago and I always went to the 7-11 down the road. So, out of habit I drove to the nearest 7-11 to use a pay phone. I can hear you laughing at me :)

As I pulled into the parking lot of the 7-11, I quickly noticed there is no pay phone. However, my fiance was at the 7-11 buying snacks and a soda. He looked a little confused as I pulled up beside his car. I rolled down the window to remind him I don't have house keys or my phone. We both got a chuckle out of the entire situation. He followed me home to let me in the door.

From this I learned to never leave the house without my cell phone or house keys. You just never know when you might need it.

No comments: