Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Moving to the Digital Age

 I overheard a conversation at work the other day. The parents discussed how one school discontinued teaching cursive writing. One parent stated that cursive handwriting was created years ago when the only instrument to write with was dipping a pen in a well of ink and using a scroll or other stock for paper. Cursive writing is being replaced with typing classes. 

On the one hand, I agree with the logic behind removing a subject that has no purpose in the future. I agree that we are becoming more technical and learning technical skills will serve a higher purpose. Although, if schools will only teach the subjects we need in the future, why do I need to pass four years of a foreign language to earn my English degree? My teachers have always insisted that we take these classes outside of our area of expertise to become a well rounded individual. 


It saddens me a little bit that children will not learn cursive writing. Writing in cursive is just instinct to me. My penmanship is not always legible, but I still send cards in the mail, and write poetry and papers. Some people have great penmanship and the cursive handwriting is so pretty. Yesterday as I was taking notes at work and wrote in cursive, I simply shook my head knowing that this style is about to become a thing of the past. 

The End!

No comments: