Sunday, April 15, 2012

FREEDOM

This morning in church we sang a song with such beautiful lyrics: "Freedom reigns in this place. Showers of mercy and grace, falling on every face." I used to think that freedom was limited to red, white, and blue. I've always been grateful to live in a country where I have the freedom to worship God when I want and how I want.

My brother serves our county in the US Air Force. He recently returned from deployment in Afghanistan. Although I don't know about everything he witnessed or felt while he was over there, I did hear some stories. After knowing some of what he faced, I'm so much more thankful for the freedoms we experience in this country. I'm more thankful to the many women and men who sacrifice so much for all of us to enjoy the freedoms of speech, religion, right to bear arms, and etc. I feel so blessed.

BUT, it doesn't end there. As a Christ follower, I also have spiritual freedom.

I have freedom in Christ. Just like men & women sacrifice so much for Americans to enjoy their freedom, Jesus Christ sacrificed His life for all of mankind to enjoy freedom from Hell and all of the evil things the devil offers (or steals from us). As mentioned in Ephesians 6, we are in a spiritual warfare. Thanks to Jesus for shedding His blood and giving me the tools so I can be FREE!

I am free from demonic presence. I am free from oppression & depression. I am free from other's opinions of me. It doesn't matter that you think I'm too short or too loud. I am free of your opinion in the name of Jesus. I have the peace of Christ (Philippians 4:7) in me so I am free from burdens, stress, guilt, and condemnation (Romans 8:1). Jesus will never leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5) so I am free from loneliness and rejection. I am FREE!  I am free from legalism and hypocrisy (Luke 12). I am free by the blood of the Lamb.

Realizing my freedom in Christ and rejoicing in my freedom has totally transformed my life. I was in an emotional prison for so long. The devil had such a tight grip on my life and all I wanted to do was escape this prison. Now that I know I am free in Christ, I am no longer in the emotional prison. The devil cannot hold this "sentence" over my head anymore. Jesus Christ paid my fine and did my time so I am FREE!! And this is why we worship and sing and praise His name. This is why I can't stand still or sit there in my seat while I'm lifting up His name. I owe my ALL to Him. I know the hell on earth Jesus rescued me from and I am oh so thankful and just want to PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!

FREEDOM REIGNS IN THIS PLACE.

No comments: