Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Red Letters

Everyone grab your Bible. I know, it's hard to choose which one to pick. I have more versions than I can count. In most of the Bibles I own there is this little clause printed on the inside stating "words of Christ are in red." As I read the New Testament, I noticed that there is not a lot of red there. So, Jesus didn't do a whole lot of talking. He led by example. 

Years ago there was this craze in the Christian community selling a bunch of stuff with the WWJD logo. This stands for "What would Jesus do?". We know what Jesus did by reading the Bible. He led by example. 

In John 8:1-12 the Pharisees, religious leaders, were trying to punish a lady committing adultery. The punishment was stoned to death. Jesus came to her rescue. He looked at the religious leaders and said "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." When the religious leaders walked away, Jesus looked at the adulterous and said "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

You all remember King David, right? He is considered as the man after God's own heart. I've been reading the life of David and he sinned just like you and I do. He had many wives, committed adultery, coordinated a man's death, and allowed his son to get away with rape. King David still earned the title "a man after Gods own heart."

Think about this the next time you have the urge to judge someone who believes differently than you do. Jesus doesn't want you to voice your judgement. Jesus wants you to lead by example. 

No comments: