Sunday, September 30, 2012

adopting a soldier

For those who don't know me, I try my best to support soldiers. I used to be very active in sending packages to units in Afghanistan, or stationed on a ship in no man's land. I used to send the simple stuff such as shampoo, razors, and packets of instant oatmeal. Lately, I only have the funds to write letters. Most people immediately assume that I support our troops because my brother serves in the Air Force. Any one can look at my work station and know I am so proud of my brother. Serving your country in the military requires a lot of sacrifice. But having family in the military wasn't my motivation.

 In 2008, a beloved friend of mine ended his life. I didn't handle his death well, to say the least. I was so angry and hurt that I became a very bitter person. No one wanted to be around me. For out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks Luke 6:45. I had nothing positive to say. After many months of grieving (poorly), I went to see my therapist for the first time in 5 years. I think it's funny that I began the conversation by stating "I don't know what's wrong with me." It took a few sessions for me to tell all of the known details about my friend's suicide. I lost my breath I was crying so hard. My therapist is a godly man and he reminded me of a biblical truth,  I reap what I sow. I've heard the term "Karma" before on television; similar theory. My therapist suggested that I find someone or something to love to drive out my depression and anger. I decided to adopt a child. Thankfully my therapist talked some sense into me. I was not emotionally ready to adopt a child. I typed "how to adopt" and google automatically filled in the rest "soldier." The google search led me to AnySoldier.com. I was able to adopt units serving our country overseas. And the best part about this, they most likely won't be able to write me back. They are in a war zone. If they can't write me back, then I won't feel rejected. (Yes, I'm weird, just accept that and keep reading). I can just write letters and send care packages and believe that someone is receiving the supplies and enjoying it.

My first unit was located in Afghanistan. The unit was 50 men who had no access to a store and relied solely on the support of their families and generous citizens to provide them with basic necessities. I'm quite shocked that our dept of defense doesn't take proper care of our soldiers. Within 3 months I received a letter from my AnySoldier contact.  He wrote me a 2 page letter thanking me for the food, baby wipes, and DVD's I sent this unit. The men were so grateful for my support. I just sat there reading his letter crying with such joy. Fast forward three years, and I'm facebook friends with one of the ladies I support. I've received countless thank you letters from the troops and I just feel a huge sense of pride and joy every time I mail a letter or send a care package.

I believe AnySoldier.com saved me. Loving on strangers rewards me so deeply. Loving on soldiers rescued me from despair. And the Lord stood by His word. I reaped what I sowed. I'm in love with my best friend and he's in love with me. I'm living life to the fullest now and enjoy every minute.

So, don't delay. Spread the love through your heart and family today. Click here http://www.anysoldier.com/ and adopt a soldier today. Just write a letter like you're writing to a friend and drop it in the mail using one stamp. That is all it cost, one stamp :) The rewards are worth so much more!

No comments: