Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Role Models

 We all need someone as a role model. I have a mild interest in history and have always considered Rosa Parks as a wonderful role model for women. I also consider Condoleeza Rice a great role model as a career women. Everything about her just sums up what I wish I was. However, recently I discovered a great role model within my own family.


My grandmother spent over 60 years married to my grandfather. They witnessed many things together. He retired as a Baptist Pastor about five or six years ago.  Together they attended funerals and weddings, visited people in the hospital, transported people to and from church, counseled numerous people, lost an unborn child, and survived many heartaches in life. In November of 2011, my grandpa passed away after a prolonged illness that literally took his breath away. 


When I arrived at my grandma's house the morning after grandpa died, I immediately noticed the hospital bed in the living room, the oxygen tank and hose in the dining room. Purell dispensers became the new decor in every room. Medical gloves and medicine bottles took the place of common household items found on the dresser. Although we all knew his death was imminent, it was still kind of weird. He was gone. Grandpa no longer sits at the end of the dining room table holding his head in his hand as he groans "Oh Lord, have mercy on her!" (I'm quite blunt and always said something that got people's attention).


This is when I noticed, grandma is the strongest person I have ever met. She never cried in front of the grandchildren. She went to her room for a few minutes, took some time to grieve, and returned to the living room concealing all evidence she was grieving. I admire that strength! She became the rock of this family. I can't imagine her pain. After 61 years she no longer wakes up next to her soul mate. And she only displays strength. Who wouldn't want to imitate her? I love you grandma. I'm following your lead. 


May the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus. Phil 4:7


Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27





No comments: